Sunday, April 10, 2016

Transcultural Nursing

Pho- it is so amazing and yummy!

Making my own spring rolls

Rice paper- much harder to work with then I thought

Crispy spring rolls with Hoisin sauce
Not pretty but very delish!

More spring rolls!!

Results of the cupping therapy
Cupping Therapy
Sound Healing
I finish one more graduate class next week.  I am always stressed at the end of a class- making sure every thing is handed in, having to do another presentation and now reflecting on all the information that was learned.  Transcultural Nursing-  A class that highlighted the need for nurses to act and practice with cultural competence.  To me this means being aware of other cultures and how they perceive the healthcare system.  I got to focus on the Vietnamese cultural as my focus for this class.  I learned to cook food-spring rolls and special iced coffee (so sweet and strong).  I even got to experience some healing practices. (I've been trying to experience a new alternative therapy each class- gaining knowledge for my thesis next year)  I had cupping therapy done.  I googled it a ton before and was super nervous because it looked like it hurts and could leave some crazy bruising.  The therapist loved that I was a grad student gaining knowledge and talk me through each step.  It felt AMAZING!  It didn't hurt.  The cups are heated and then suction to your back.  It is supposed to help release "the wind" in our bodies that cause imbalances and illness.  I didn't know if my "wind" was balanced but it felt like an amazing deep tissue massage.  I also was suppose to experience a Sound Healing experience (group mediation) but it snowed so much that day it was canceled. Super bummed- have to try it another time.  I spent clinical hours going to eat Vietnamese foods, like Pho.  I don't think I tried a food I didn't like. (but I didn't eat the traditional beef tongue- yikes!)  It has been another great class.  I still think Jean Watson is my nursing theorist not Margret Leininger (transcultural theory) but its always good to review another nursing theorist.  (I say because now I am done reviewing another theorist- at least until next semester.)  I love learning about different healing practices and hopeful that some day I can use hem in my practice.  Cheers to finishing another class! (3 more to go until graduation!!!)

2 comments:

jules said...

Oh my gosh!!! My friend Kelly was just telling me about cupping!!! I had never heard of it! I wanna try!

j said...

I always wanted to try cupping too - but how can that not hurt?!